Thursday, August 23, 2012

skin cancer.


Today I found out I have skin cancer and will be having surgery on my face in 2 weeks.
how uncomfortable to answer the phone and to hear "Hi Michelle, I just wanted to call and let you know the biopsy came back, and it's worse than we originally thought. We need to schedule surgery."

I laughed at first because my whole life I've joked about getting skin cancer. I have red hair and freckles, the sun hates me and wants to kill me. 

Then I cried. I am too young for skin cancer. I never tan, I wear sunscreen everyday.

I know people go through a lot worse and this is the most mild, noninvasive cancer you can have. I definitely am not going to die and although I have to go to the dermatologist every few months now, it won't affect my life at all. . *considering the surgery doesn't destroy my face*. So I am super grateful that it's just a little thing, but I am sad nonetheless.

I didn't need this.